instrument (1); tööriist; riist
1. a mechanical device intended to make a task easier
Hand me that tool, would you? I don't have the right tools to start fiddling around with the engine.
2. any piece of equipment used in a profession, e.g. a craftman's tools
These are the tools of the trade.
3. something to perform an operation; an instrument; a means
4. (computing) a piece of software used to develop software or hardware, or to perform low-level operations
The software engineer had been developing lots of EDA tools. a tool for recovering deleted files from a disk
5. a person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group
He was a tool, no more than a pawn to her.
1a: a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task
2a: something (such as an instrument or apparatus) used in performing an operation or necessary in the practice of a vocation or profession
// a scholar's books are his tools
2b: an element of a computer program (such as a graphics application) that activates and controls a particular function
// a drawing tool
2c: a means to an end
// a book's cover can be a marketing tool
3a: one who is used or manipulated by another
// And then there was former trainer Pfeil, viewed as another tool of management for his gruff ways.
protsessis kasutatav tarkvara, riistvara või püsivara
software, hardware, or firmware used in a process